Weatherization Program

Weatherization Program

The Weatherization Program is primarily funded by the U.S. Department of Energy as well as private organizations. This free program enables SSCAC to insulate and make minor energy efficiency related repairs to the homes or apartments of Fuel Assistance eligible households. Sometimes private utility company funds can be combined with these federal funds to assist in providing comprehensive weatherization services. Participating private utility companies currently include Keyspan Gas, NSTAR Gas and Electric, NGRID Electric and Bay State Gas.

On average, low income families spend more than 16% of their annual income on energy compared with 5% median income in many homes.

According to the Department of Energy's National Weatherization Office, weatherization reduces average annual energy costs by $358 per household. Weatherization produces "non energy" benefits as well: for every $1 invested in the program, Weatherization returns $2.60 in energy and other benefits. Weatherization also improves local air quality, reduces risk of fires, decreases cases of homelessness, and increases the durability of affordable housing.

Am I eligible to receive Weatherization Services?

Fuel assistance eligible homeowners or renters may be eligible for weatherization services, if you live in the following towns:

  • Carver
  • Cohasset
  • Duxbury
  • Halifax
  • Hanover
  • Hingham
  • Hull
  • Kingston
  • Marshfield
  • Middleboro
  • Norwell
  • Pembroke
  • Plymouth
  • Plympton
  • Scituate

Link to Fuel Eligibility Guidelines

However, due to limited funding, all fuel assistance eligible households are categorized by Massachusetts' weatherization priority system. These priorities are: elderly, disabled, high-energy users and households with children under six years of age.

How do I apply?

The fuel assistance application also serves as your application for weatherization assistance. For specific questions about your eligibility and priority status, please call SSCAC at 508-747-7575 Extention 6253.

What happens next?

If your household has a high priority for weatherization services, SSCAC's conservation staff will call or write to you to see whether you are interested in free weatherization services. If so, they will schedule an appointment in your home with our energy auditor.

The energy auditor will check for existing insulation, measure your home, check the safety of your heating system including testing for carbon monoxide, and provide a list of recommended conservation measures to be performed.

After you agree to these measures, a licensed and insured SSCAC-approved contractor will be assigned to perform the work. When the work has been completed, SSCAC's auditor will then inspect the work. If the work passes inspection, SSCAC will pay the contractor.